Ant Abundance, identification and relation with cocoa pest attacks under several shade trees.
Published Dec 27, 2021
Main Article Content
Institut Pertanian Bogor
Department of Soil Science and Land Resources, Faculty of Agriculture, IPB University, Jl. Meranti Kampus IPB, Dramaga, Bogor, Indonesia
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute, Jl. PB Sudirman 90, Jember, Indonesia
Ants are soil macrofauna that plays an essential role in preventing pods of cocoa (Theobroma cacao L.) from Helopeltis antonii and Conopomorpha cramerella attack. However, the method of those pests control primarily using pesticides and that will disturbed ant's life. This research aims to determine the abundance and diversity of ants in cocoa plantations with different shade and to determine the correlation between ant abundance and intensity of pest attack from Helopeltis antonii and Conopomorpha cramerella. Ants sample was carried out using pitfall traps and Berlese funnels based on purposive sampling method. The results showed that five subfamilies were found in cocoa plantations with different shade. Subfamily Myrmicinae was the dominant group in all observation sites. The ant abundance has a strong correlation with intensity of pest attack. This was influenced by a role of the ant as natural enemies from Helopeltis antonii and Conopomorpha cramerella.
How to Cite
Khafidhan, A., Widyastuti, R., & Abdoellah, S. (2021). Ant Abundance, identification and relation with cocoa pest attacks under several shade trees. Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal), 37(3), 219-228. https://doi.org/10.22302/iccri.jur.pelitaperkebunan.v37i3.474
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Niken Puspita sari, Rahayu Widyastuti, Soetanto Abdoellah, Diversity and Abundance of Earthworms in Cocoa Plantations with Different Shade Trees , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 37 No 3 (2021)
- Fakhrusy Zakariyya, Teguh Iman Santoso, Soetanto Abdoellah, Absorption of Cadmium and its Effect on the Growth of Halfsib Family of Three Cocoa Clones Seedling , Pelita Perkebunan (a Coffee and Cocoa Research Journal): Vol 38 No 3 (2022)